Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Into the "BERS"

Dear Family & Friends,
This week was long and it is hard to believe that it is September already. As the Summer winds down I am called to reflect on my mission thus far. I have been just over 5 months. I have had experiences that cannot be experienced elsewhere. I have felt genuine love for other people and that causes my heart to burn with a desire to bring souls unto Christ. I feel honored to be a part of this Work.

This last week we visited with Becky, one of our investigators. We visited and talked about the story of Ammon and Lamoni. She loved that passage of scripture as did we and the member who came with us. At the end of our reading, Becky wanted a blessing of comfort since she is still trying to adapt to the loss of her husband just a few weeks ago. She asked me to seal the anointing and giver her a blessing. The room was burning with the Spirit and I felt a strong male presence in the circle, unseen. Becky's husband was there to comfort her as well. This was one of the most memorable moments I've had while on my mission. Becky then came to church for the first time since the death of her husband. She was welcomed with open arms and smiling faces as we had an amazing Fast and Testimony Meeting. 

This weekend, during our fast, President Cottle asked to fast to find new investigators and teach them the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. We ended our fast Sunday at 5 when we went to the home of a member family, Jansens. We had meatball subs and homemade sweet potato fries. YUM! We did not see much during our fast until last night. We were out tracting around our apartment and knocked on a couple of doors with no success. With the light going down, we started for home. Elder Thornton wanted us to stop at one more door before we turned in. We knocked and a man by name of Jerome, answered and invited us in. We talked about who we are and what he does for a living. We broke the ice with 5 minutes. The Spirit entered that home and we felt good. We then proceeded to teach him The Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He was engaged and understood the message and wanted us to come back on Saturday to teach him and his wife. I have found that if you pray to find and teach, the Lord will put someone in your path that needs to hear the Gospel. We went home happy and ecstatic. 

I love being a missionary for Jesus Christ. I love His Gospel and the blessing that flow from it. I know that this Work is the Work of Salvation and bringing souls unto Christ. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Have a great week to you and all who read this. May you all find missionary opportunities as I have. 

Elder Alex Kestner