Monday, December 14, 2015

The Power of the Scriptures!!



Beautiful Savannah..Good-bye

Dear Family & Friends,
This week has flown by. I have tried to grasp a few things to write about this week, but some things I will leave out to talk about through my Skype call home on Christmas Day. After that my Mom may share those things.

Saturday was a busy day, as it usually is. Around lunch time, we picked up some Chic-fil-a and headed to Brother Carino's with Sean. After a good meal and conversation, we went back out to work. Let me tell you a little about Sean... He is 20 years old and was Baptized last June. He is the Pioneer of his family, being the only member. Since his Baptism and since I've been in Savannah, Sean has had a strong desire to serve a mission. He has called us up multiple times of the week asking when he can come out with us. We certainly love having him out with us and he has repeatedly shared his testimony with investigators which breaks the ice better than we could. He has such a desire to serve that will make him a great full-time missionary. If he goes to Idaho, as I tell him, he will not be disappointed. haha.Read more on this story HERE!

 After trying to see a few people with Sean, we decided to drop by to see a referral. The lady who we intended to see was not there, but her sister, Lois, was. We had briefly talked to her before, but she had us come in and talk. We immediately started talking about the Gospel. She has some questions and concerns that are good and honest. We had a very incredible discussion about The Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith and Prophets. It seems like we were led to her through her sister's request for a Bible. Lois is very active in her church and is very much the Matriarch of her family. She does her best to keep her children and grandchildren in church and safe at home. Throughout the entire discussion the Spirit was so strong that you can cut it with a knife, so to speak. She bore testimony many times of the importance of family unity, prayer, church attendance, and being a true Christian every day. As we departed, we left her with a commitment to read the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to pray about it. She gave us a hug, and we departed feeling uplifted after the long and dreary day we had been having.

Earlier in the week, in fact last Tuesday, we met a guy named Rob. He let us in right away and told us he was taught by missionaries 20 years ago in Kentucky! He had some good questions and relayed some experiences with the paranormal he has had. He has a questions about the Church that we answered, but we left with a prayer and an appointment for earlier this morning. We went this morning and talked to him about any questions he may have. He had a few that came up from the pamphlet we left with him as well as those that came up through is life that had just come to his remembrance. We had the intention to stay for 45 minutes or so, but we left after talking for only 20 minutes. We didn't feel rushed, but we asked him to read the first chapter of 1 Nephi. 

Yesterday, I finished my second reading of the Book of Mormon with the focus on marking the Doctrines of Christ (Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Gisft of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End). My testimony of the Book of Mormon has strengthened since the last time I read it through and every page I read this time. I know that it is true. I know that Joseph Smith translated it through the Gift and Power of God. The messages in it have deepened my love for my Savior, Jesus Christ. I love it and I long to add more copies of the Book of Mormon to my bookshelf for years to come. As I have finished the Book of Mormon, I have challenged myself to read all the Standard Works before I return home. The next one to read is the Bible, starting in the book of Genesis. In the Old Testament I will be marking scriptures relating to Prophecies of Jesus Christ, Laws and Customs, and Power Scriptures. After that, towards the end of my mission I hope to read and finish the Doctrine and Covenants along with The Pearl of Great Price. I have developed a love for the scriptures that I wish I had more of when I was back home. As they say, better late than never. 

I just wanted to share on last thing. I checked my email and the Monday before every Transfer meeting there is an email from the APs ( Assistants to the President ).
In this email, I have been selected to be the District Leader in my next area. I look forward to being in my next area and I know I will love it! 

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Elder Alexander Kestner