Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The "Cup-storation" lesson

Dear Family Friends,


I would like to start off with one little tid-bit of information... Holidays like Martin Luther King Jr. Day is a day when the libraries are closed and we are not allowed to use member's computers. This will continue to be the case unless the Georgia Macon Mission gets i-Pads. 

This week has flown by. I went on exchanges with Elder Haines in Evans on Tuesday. We had a lesson with one of their investigators about the Restoration, but with a twist he used cups! Elder Haines taught the 'cup-storation' lesson. In a nutshell, we have basic Christian beliefs, i.e Faith and Repentance. Elder Haines then put a card (priesthood) on them and then placed 2 more cups, Baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Once you remove the Priesthood (or the card), the entire stack falls apart. He then added another cup to the base, Joseph Smith (stacked inside a cup representing Jesus Christ). You then rebuild it and it is exactly the same as it was before. It was an interesting way to teach it, for sure.

Later on in the week, we were sad to hear that C.K., one of our investigators, will be preparing to go back to Nepal and is using all of his spare time to get ready. We won't be able to see him until mid-March. Fortunately, we saw him earlier in the week. We taught him more of the Restoration and we were able to clear up some questions about the Book of Mormon and the Bible. An impression came to my mind during the lesson, "Invite him to be baptized''. Without dismissing it, I asked firmly if he found these things to be true, would he be Baptized? He responded that if it felt right, he would. That impression blew my mind. We then asked him to read the Book of Mormon and he replied with eagerness a desire to read it. He said he was looking for something to read during the 15 hours he will spend in the plane going to Nepal. Why not read the book of Mormon? C.K. is very intelligent and I guess that he may read the whole thing come March. I certainly pray and hope he does.

I catch myself often reflecting on the experiences I have had and the those that I will have. It can be very difficult at times to overburden my thoughts with different things. But I am slowly starting to learn and understand how to cope with different situations that I come across. Prayer and scripture study have undoubtedly been two of my best tools I use each and every day. Some days I am humble and patient, others, not so much. But I try to rely on the Savior when I have those difficult days. I am truly grateful for many things including the love and support of my family, friends, and others that I may not even know. 

Gotta keep on keepin' on! 

Sincerely,
Elder Alexander Kestner