Monday, October 5, 2015

I really hope y'all did too!



Dear Family & Friends,
I am in Gray, Georgia in the Macon Zone. This is the closest area to the Mission HQ thus far. My companion's name is Elder Palmer, from Utah. This area is a car share area, which means they get the car every other week and vice versa. That set of Elders not far from us. The church is literally 2 minutes away from our apartment. The apartment itself is great, it being a townhouse. I love this new area and I know that I am supposed to be here. My goal for this transfer is to help Elder Palmer as much as I can by 'Greenie Busting' him. This week was quite long and we biked a good portion of it. We met some great people. When Elder Palmer came in 3 months ago, there was almost no one to teach. Since then they have developed a small teaching pool. The area of Gray itself is small compared to Phenix City and Thomson, which are both large areas. We are looking to find and teach those who need to hear the Gospel. The few members I have met have a missionary zeal as the ward has 3 missionaries serving missions as well. 

The few days we were biking made for a good cardio workout. I may lag behind, but I soldier on! haha. I am definitely getting stronger in my legs the more I bike and I feel that since we are biking and do not have the car, I hope to start losing some weight I have gained in the last 6 months.  

The week was topped off beautifully with General Conference as I was able to watch each session of it and loved each one! I felt so blessed to raise my hand and sustain the three new Apostles; Elder Rasband, Elder Stevenson, and Elder Renlund. I know that these men are called of God to lead and guide us in these latter days. What a great opportunity for us to hear them share their testimonies with the whole Church. Fun fact: Elder Stevenson is only 56! He will be in the quorum for a good long while! I know I'm not the only one that felt moved when Elder Bednar of the Apostolic ministries of those that have passed on since he has been an Apostle. I loved President Monson's last address. I had some concern when President Monson started to struggle physically, but the Lord sustained him as he delivered his message. As it was said earlier in the Conference, the apostles are not exempt from frailties from age and illness. But the Lord knows His servants needs and will support them in their addresses. 

Nephi says this perfectly, "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." 

I know that the Lord helps and supports His servants. General Conference is truly a blessing! It gives us time for us to truly become the student and learn from our leaders what the Lord wants us to know. I really hope y'all did too! I love each of you and I hope that you find strength in the Gospel and in the Atonement as I have.

Sincerely, 
Your Son
Elder A. Kestner