Monday, February 22, 2016

'Burn Up' North Augusta!

Elder Wells and I at Zone Conference
Old Phenix City reunuion!
-Elder Wells, myself, Elder Sutton, Elder Woolley

Dear Family & Friends,

This week has been a pretty decent week. I have felt a lot more vigor for the Work this particular week. I am not sure if I have mentioned it before, President Cottle gave a training in Zone Conference about extending invitations to be Baptism more frequently, thus fulfilling our purpose by inviting others to come unto Christ and be Baptized. It has stuck with me all week and I am really excited to work extra hard this week to find new investigators and increase our teaching pool. This is area has been bogged down in the past even though great missionaries like Elder Godwin and Elder Ray have been through. I really want to 'burn up' North Augusta! Before we went home last night, Brother Dunagan gave us some less-actives and part-member families to reach out to. We will be focusing more on those individuals this week.

On Saturday, we went out tracting near Garret's house. We tracted into one lady who opened the door and said "Super-duper Catholic, but I'll take what y'all hand out". She then told us of a few of her neighbors and she then talked about a young couple around the corner, on the left in the middle-ish house. After talking to her, we realized that she was referring to Garret and his wife. Interesting... We then moved to another street and knocked on two more. We had originally wanted to do just two more, but after the first two with no success, we knocked on a third. A man opened and he was somewhat interested. I say that because he didn't stop us from talking. We did the usual introduction about who we are and what our message is, in this case we told him that God has once again called a Prophet to speak for Him. We asked him what he liked about his church and replied "I like the things the preacher says and the social gathering" . We then asked him if he has heard about the Church before and he had very minimally. After talking about the Book of Mormon and Prophets, he said he wouldn't be interested. A little disheartening, but we gave him the opportunity for us to teach him and his family and sometimes that is all we can do.

I have felt recently, completely immersed in the work I am doing. I now vaguely remember what it is like to not get up at 6:30 and in bed at 10:30 among other things. But I know that this is what I am supposed to be doing and is the most important thing I can be doing. I love this Work and this Gospel and the joy it has brought to me. It has brought me through some really tough times, but I do not despair. The Gospel can do that for everyone that is willing to listen, both member and non-member.

Garret is still interested in discussions. We should be meeting with him in a day or two. He has been caught up in taxes and such. Transfers is March 22. I feel like I will stay here at least for another. If that happens, I will have been here as long as I was back in Phenix City.

Today we have some cleaning to do and some shopping as well. P-Days can be busy or relaxing. We have fun either way.

Have a good week y'all!

Elder Kestner