Monday, June 1, 2015

No regrets!

Dear Friends & Family,

Another week gone by. As they say, days turn into weeks and weeks turn into months. I am still in the 'week' portion. I love it here. 

I struggled quite a bit last week with just about everything. I was grumpy, irritable, and generally not happy. At length, I decided enough was enough. I knelt in honest prayer and asked for strength from the Lord to guide me in everything that I do. I instantly saw the good in everything, including my companion. I remembered that if I stay unhappy for long, I will see a portion of my mission go by and I have regrets. I don't want to have regrets. I do not want to live each day and week of my mission unsatisfied. What I mean is this: I want to do my best everyday and strive to do better everyday. At the end of my mission and when it is all said and done, I want to ask the Lord that He will accept the work that I have done. I strive to live worthy of my calling that the Lord has given me. It may be hard at times, but is not impossible and the Lord doesn't send His servants blindly out to teach. I have definitely felt the Lord's hand in the work that we do.

This last week was good overall. The first part of the week was slow and unproductive. It picked up towards the weekend where we found 2 new investigators who were receptive to our message and I could tell that they felt the Spirit. They are a husband and wife with a couple of kids and we look forward to teaching them the Gospel and that their family can be Sealed together for Time and all Eternity. I see the Work is picking up here in Phenix City. Though it does break my heart a little when we have to drop some investigators since they won't keep commitments. We taught a less-active family on Friday and it went really well. They are struggling with some things but they want to get to the Temple. One major obstacle for them is the Word of Wisdom. The father especially struggles with it. We taught in this recent lesson the importance of keeping the Word of Wisdom and how it truly blesses us when we keep it and how the blessings it brings more than makes up for what we give up to follow that counsel. For two weeks now they have promised to be at church, but have failed to come whatever may be holding them is unknown to me. I pray that they find the way and the light that comes when we attend church and partake of the Sacrament and renew our Baptismal Covenants.

I was recently assigned as the designated driver in our companionship. The car we drive is a 2014 Chevy Cruze which is certainly an upgrade from what I last drove back home, which was my 1990 Honda Accord. I love driving and is a stress-reliever, to me at least. that assignment was made last week due to my trainer having knee and legs pains from old injuries which worsens when he drives. Anyway, I love driving. 
 
I just burned some Prince of Egypt and Piano Guys the other Elders in my district have onto my CDs. I will eventually have a mission music collection. I thought about another album to perhaps, add to the list for me: Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Master and Commander. Not too worried and I have plenty to keep myself happy and sane haha.  I talked to a member of the ward who visited Idaho. One thing he loved was FRY SAUCE. If there is any way to send fry sauce for him as well as me, that would be awesome. Anyway, just a funny thing 

All is well now and I love hearing from people back home and how everyone is doing and what they're up to. I love P-Day which is when I email, do laundry, go grocery shopping, and generally just relax from last week and prepare for the upcoming week. 

Love you all and hope all is well. As it certainly is well here.

Elder A. Kestner